Skip to main content

LIVING FOR CHRIST - THE DAILY FOUNTAIN DAILY DEVOTIONAL GUIDE OF THE CHURCH OF NIGERIA (ANGLICAN COMMUNION)

THE DAILY FOUNTAIN DAILY DEVOTIONAL GUIDE OF THE CHURCH OF NIGERIA (ANGLICAN COMMUNION)


DATE: SUNDAY, 6TH MARCH, 2022 (FIRST SUNDAY IN LENT) 


TOPIC: LIVING FOR CHRIST


TEXT: PHILIPPIANS 1:1-26 


1. Paul and Timothy, bondservants of Jesus Christ, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:

2. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

3. I thank my God upon every remembrance of you,

4. always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy,

5.  for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now,

6.  being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete [it] until the day of Jesus Christ;

7.  just as it is right for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart, inasmuch as both in my chains and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers with me of grace.

8.  For God is my witness, how greatly I long for you all with the affection of Jesus Christ.

9.  And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment,

10.  that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ,

11.  being filled with the fruits of righteousness which [are] by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.

12.  But I want you to know, brethren, that the things [which happened] to me have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel,

13.  so that it has become evident to the whole palace guard, and to all the rest, that my chains are in Christ;

14.  and most of the brethren in the Lord, having become confident by my chains, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.

15.  Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from good will:

16.  The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains;

17.  but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel.

18.  What then? Only [that] in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice.

19.  For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,

20.  according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.

21.  For to me, to live [is] Christ, and to die [is] gain.

22.  But if [I] live on in the flesh, this [will mean] fruit from [my] labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell.

23.  For I am hard pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, [which is] far better.

24.  Nevertheless to remain in the flesh [is] more needful for you.

25.  And being confident of this, I know that I shall remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy of faith,

26.  that your rejoicing for me may be more abundant in Jesus Christ by my coming to you again.


MESSAGE: 

Apostle Paul’s epistle to the Philippians was a ‘Thank you’ letter for their partnership in ministry and support, both when he was with them and when he was apart from them (2 Cor. 8:1-7). He used himself as an example, being in prison, chains, restricted, persecuted and opened to death – to encourage the Church in Philippi to live for Christ Jesus in all situations. In verse 21, he echoes a somewhat familiar line “For to me, to live is CHRIST, and to die is gain.” It is only a life lived for and in Christ that is guaranteed a blissful eternity. There is no greater call than living purposefully for the kingdom. To just live or exist is not enough but having a proper understanding of your mission on earth will define your life focus.The Philippian church is an example of a supportive church, though a small church, they were highly motivated and dedicated Christians who understood the true essence of brotherly love preached by our Lord Jesus Christ. Paul’s lack of fear of death under his circumstance encouraged others to boldly proclaim the gospel. We should emulate him - not to be ashamed to identify with Christ (Phil. 1: 12-14), but willing to preach Christ whether living or dying (v.21) knowing that nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus (Rom. 8: 35-36).


 PRAYER: 

Lord, I want to live for You alone, give me the grace to fulfil my purpose in life. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHURCH OF NIGERIA ELECTS NEW BISHOPS AND ONE ARCHBISHOP

The Episcopal synod of the church of Nigeria Anglican Communion has elected six new Bishops, and one Archbishop. The election which took place at the Basilica of Grace Apo, Gudu district in the Diocese of Abuja on Thursday October 29, 2009 has the following:- The Rt. Rev. Friday John Imaekhai Bishop, Diocese of Esan, Elected: - Archbishop of Bendel to replace The Primate elect, The Most Rev. Nicholas Okoh The very Rev. Ralph Ebirien of St Stephen’s Cathedral Bonny Elected: - Bishop of Niger Delta Diocese The Venerable Ezekiel Bolarinde Dahunsi of Church of Pentecost FESTAC Lagos Elected: - Bishop Diocese of Ido- Ani The Rev. Canon Justus Emeka Mogekwu of St. Paul’s Kakuri, Kaduna Elected:-Bishop Diocese of Asaba to replace Most Rev. Nicholas Okoh. The Venerable (Prof.) Dapo Folorunso Asaju of the chapel of Light, Lagos (LASU) Elected:-Bishop for Theological Education in the office of the Primate The Venerable James Olaoti Akinola of St. James Iludun Oro, Kwara S

EXCERPTS FROM: 24/7 WARFARE PRAYERS AND SUPERNATURAL BREAKTHROUGH MANUAL

INTRODUCTION Right from childhood, the number “SEVEN” has always been an intrigue, an interesting puzzle, a fascination, and a great phenomenon to me. I was actually born on the seventh day of the month; perhaps this was one of the reasons why something leaps inside of me whenever I see the number. But as I grew up in the Christian faith I began to see a regular reference to it the scriptures. I was kind of saying, whoa! Holy bliss! Seven occurs 257 times, or 7 × 41 Seventh, the fractional part occurs 98 times or 7× 14 Seven –fold occurs 7 times. Seventy occurs 56 times or 7× 8 “Seventy” in combination with other numbers occurs 35 times or 7× 5. God is pleased to stamp the number “Seven” with the seal of perfection and completeness. God never down played the importance of the number, because it was the number of God. It is a carrier of God’s mysteries. It pleased God that, the Seventh man from Adam – Enoch sh

FIVE NEW FULL FLEDGED ANGLICAN DIOCESES

Five new Dioceses have been created in the Church of Nigeria Anglican Communion. The Church's official website - http://www.anglican-nig.org/main.php?k_j=12&d=352&p_t=index.php? posted the information thus: The Standing Committee Meeting of Church of Nigeria Anglican Communion has approved the creation of five new full fledged Dioceses at their meeting at the Cathedral Church of St. Stephen’s Umuahia, Abia State. They are Shendam Diocese carved out of Langtang Diocese, Plateau state, Ido-Ani Diocese from present Owo Diocese, in Ondo state, Igbomina West from Igbomina Diocese,Kwara state, Ilesha North East from Ilesha in Osun state and Ijebu South West from Ijebu Diocese in Ogun state. At the presentation, the head of the Committee responsible for creation of new Dioceses, the most Rev. Joseph Akinfenwa Archbishop Ibadan Province and Bishop of Ibadan who led a team of four assured the house that the stage is set and the New Dioceses have met all the requirements for creation